4 small Aubergines (washed)
1 Onion (sliced)
3 tablespoons of light Olive Oil
100g tin of Chopped Tomatoes
1 teaspoon of Dried Thyme
115ml (4 fl oz) White Wine
2 teaspoons of Cumin Seeds
2 cloves of Garlic (crushed)
50g (2 oz) Mature Cheddar Cheese (grated)
A few sprigs of fresh Thyme
(1) Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
(2) Cut each Aubergine in half, lengthways. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the flesh leaving a shell of about 1 cm (½ inch) thick. Roughly chop the flesh.
(3) Fry Aubergine flesh and the sliced onion in a tablespoon of oil for about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, thyme, wine, cumin seeds and garlic. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then gently simmer for 30 minutes until Aubergine is tender and the sauce has reduced.
(4) Meanwhile, brush Aubergine shells with remaining olive oil. Put on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until tender.
(5) Preheat grill to hot. Spoon filling into Aubergine shells. Top with cheese then grill for a few minutes until cheese has melted.
(6) Serve garnished with sprigs of thyme.