300g / 12oz Demerarar sugar
100g / 4oz butter
2 level tablespoons of golden syrup
1 level tablespoon of black treacle
4 tablespoons of water
(1) Put all the ingredients into a pan.
(1) Heat slowly, stirring until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
(1) Bring to the boil. Cover the pan, and boil gently for 2 minutes.
(1) Uncover the pan, and continue to boil for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
(1) Test by dropping a little of the mixture into a cup of cold water. It should seperate into brittle threads.
(1) Pour into a buttered 15cm / 6in square tin, and leave to set.
(1) Turn out on a board, and break up with a small hammer.
Makes about 500g / 1LB of Toffee.