450g (1Lb) Loaf tin
200g (8oz) Strong wholemeal flour
250ml (9oz) Milk
85ml (3fl oz) Black treacle
85g (3oz) Currants or raisins
1 Teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 Teaspoon salt
Melted butter for greasing
(1) Preheat oven to Gas Mark 3 / 170°C (Fan-oven 150°C).
(2) Brush the loaf tin generously with the butter.
(3) Stir the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt together.
(4) Stir in the milk and treacle then fold in the currants.
(5) Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin. Cover loosely with a piece of pleated buttered foil, and tie with string to make it airtight.
(6) Put into a roasting tin. Pour in boiling water to come halfway up the side of the loaf tin.
(7) Place in the oven and steam for 2 hours.
(8) Allow to cool for 1 hour, before turning out.