200g (7 oz) Tinned or Homemade Pumpkin Puree (1 kg Pumpkin)
250g (9 oz) Plain Flour
150g (5 oz) Molasses or Black Treacle
150g (5 oz) Soft Brown Sugar
50g (2 oz) Softened Butter
1 Large egg
1½ teaspoons Ground Ginger
1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Allspice
¼ teaspoon Ground Cloves
Pinch of Salt
(1) Pre-heat oven to 180°C, 350°F or Gasmark 4. While the oven is heating up, grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) deep cake tin.
(2) Sift the flour, ginger, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, allspice, ground cloves and salt into a large bowl.
(3) Stir the molasses or treacle into a pan with 125ml (5fl oz) of boiling water, then stir in the pumpkin puree (see below for pumpkin puree recipe).
(4) In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until a pale colour. Add the egg and continue beating until light and fluffy. Gradually fold the pumpkin puree and the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, until well combined, but don't over mix.
(5) Pour into the cake tin and bake in the middle of the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
(1) Cut pumpkin into quarters, then peel and cut into chunks. Place in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil.
(2) Cook for 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Drain well and allow to cool. Then puree the flesh in a food processor or mash with a potato masher.
Once pureed and kept in a suitable container, it can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, or deep freeze for 3 - 6 months.