650g (1lb 7oz) Fresh Cherries (The dark juicy ones)
200ml Tub of Creme Fraiche
50g (2oz) Plain Flour
150ml Quarter pint of milk
3 Large Eggs
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
4 Tablespoons Kirsch
4 Tablespoons Caster Sugar
Icing Sugar (Sifted)
(1) Preheat the oven to 190°C / Gas Mark 5 / Fan 170°C.
(2) Stone the cherries (but try to keep them whole if possible).
(3) Scatter cherries over the base of a shallow, buttered, ovenproof dish of about 1 litre capacity. Sprinkle cherries with a tablespoon of caster sugar, and a tablespoon of Kirsch.
(4) Whisk the eggs until they are soft and foamy (about 1 or 2 mins). Whisk in the flour and remaining castor sugar, then add the remaining Kirsch, Milk, Creme Fraiche and Vanilla extract.
(5) Evenly pour the batter over the cherries and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the batter is pale golden colour.
(6) Leave to cool at room temperature, then lightly dust with the sifted icing sugar.