250ml (9fl oz) Baileys
2 medium Bananas
85g (3oz) Soft Butterscotch Toffees (e.g. Wether's Original)
4 Slices (140g / 5oz) Chocolate or Walnut Cake (or Banana Loaf can be used)
25g (1oz) Dark Chocolate (grated or made into curls)
142ml carton of Double Cream
½ a teaspoon of finely ground Espresso Coffee
A little Icing Sugar
(1) Put toffees into a small saucepan with 4 tablespoons of Baileys. Stir over a gentle heat until the toffees melt into the liqueur (without letting it boil) forming a sticky sauce. Then leave to cool.
(2) Crumble a slice of the cake into the bottom of each serving glass (makes about 4 servings) and lightly press crumbs with fingers to firm them down. Then pour 2 tablespoons of Baileys over the crumbs.
(3) Peel and thinly slice the bananas and divide the slices between the serving glasses, lightly pushing them down. Spoon the toffee sauce over the banana layer.
(4) Add 4 tablespoons of Baileys and ½ a teaspoon of ground coffee to the double-cream and whip until it forms soft peaks. Add some sieved icing sugar to taste. (Now drink any Baileys that is left over).
(5) Top each trifle with spoonfuls of the cream and sprinkle on grated or curls of chocolate. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.